Friday, March 2, 2012

No Ropes, No Worries

This is pretty wild and it gets me thinking. Alex Honnold is a free climber, meaning he doesn't use ropes or safety equipment. Watch this video and you'll understand.


They say that Alex is the Michael Jordan of climbing at his talent level. Its pretty wild to believe, that one person can have so much trust in his skill, his shoes and the cliff face he climbs. But what is really wild for me to believe is that someone is willing to devote themselves to such a dangerous task without any doubt that he can do it at all.

Its like life and my trust in God. All of the time I have little doubts about God providing this or that; or that his path for me isn't going right, but in reality we can do almost anything with full commitment in Him. Just like with free climbing. I don't know why it's so hard to commit sometimes... maybe it's the distractions. Actually, I know for sure that's what it is (or at least a big part of it). I think to overcome any doubt I need to free myself from the world's distractions and really focus on eternal things first. Just like Alex focuses on the cliff face first and foremost before the beautiful view around him. Once he gets to the top of his goal he looks around him and recognizes the beauty of his climb. Cool thought eh? Tell me what you think. And check out this awesome video if you haven't yet!


After watching the video again I thought about another cool similarity to life's obstacles. In the middle of his climb Alex begins to doubt his technique and his climb... even the best have that stumbling block. But I feel like what separates the good from the best is that person who can overcome the stumbling block. Even though life brings us struggles along the way, we are given courage by overcoming the very same stumbling block that discouraged us in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment